Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Change of Plans

My apologies for disappearing yesterday. I promised wood floors and didn't deliver, but so did Henry, the floor guy. Henry got sick and didn't show up and so he made me look like the bad guy! If there's one thing I've learned in this whole process it's this: be flexible. So many things have gone wrong (like live wires being buried in our brand new walls), and we've had to problem-solve, think on feet, or change our plans countless times. I remember when I was planning my wedding people would tell me "something will go wrong on your wedding day"--and it did! I was 20 minutes late to the church because I had forgotten a crochet hook to button my dress. Oops! And, sure enough, things have gone wrong with the kitchen too.

Jeremy tried to find a replacement floor company but in the end we decided it was best to stick with Henry. So instead of losing 3-4 days, we called our cabinet installer to see if he'd be willing to put the cabinets in before the floors went down. Kitchen cabinets and floors are a little like the chicken and the egg, depending on who you ask, you'll get a different answer on which comes first. The floors guys prefer to put the floors down first, the counter guys prefer to put the counters down first. We honestly didn't care one way or the other...we just wanted something done. So yesterday half of our cabinets were installed!

Here are a few shots of the beauties:
 And here's the other view:


I'm thinking these will look even better tonight when all of the cabinets and their doors, microwave, dishwasher, and wine fridge are installed.

And remember how I said we've had a lot things go wrong? Well, the minute I walked into the kitchen last night I could tell the sink base looked too small. We have a double-basin cast iron sink like this one:
The sink is 33 inches wide and when I measured the sink base it was 30 inches. My heart sank. The sink was a custom order so we couldn't easily exchange it. Either we didn't carefully check our measurements when we ordered the sink or KraftMaid had sent us the wrong sink base. We checked against the kitchen plans which contain all of the measurements. Phew! We had ordered a 33 inch base so it was looking like KraftMaid's mistake. But then we remembered we actually have two sink bases (the other is part of the wet bar in the beverage center). Sure enough, the other sink base is 30 inches. So it turns out our cabinet installer accidentally grabbed the wrong sink base. Thankfully, it should be a relatively quick fix.
The sink base is on the right. The one with all of the holes drilled through the back.
I'll be back tomorrow with lots of exciting pictures (if everything goes according to plan which we now know isn't a guarantee...). The cabinets should be complete and our friend Brian is here hanging all of that trim I painted over the weekend. Wahoo!

And, I know this is a kitchen/home blog, but I just had to give a birthday shout out to my grandmother (who definitely does not read this little blog). Today is her 93rd birthday! Crazy, huh? Imagine what her parents' kitchen looked like when she was born? I'm guessing they didn't have a wine fridge. Happy birthday, Maggie!

No comments:

Post a Comment