Tuesday, March 29, 2011

With a Little Help from Our Friends

We're officially 23 days into the renovation. In 23 days we've completey demo'd our old kitchen and bathroom, built walls for our new pantry and bathroom, and implemented an entire new electric plan. Not too shabby! Except for some help from our carpenter and Jeremy's dad, Jeremy and I had done all of the work on this project ourselves up to this point. It's been exhausting, exciting, terrifying, frustrating, grueling, gratifying, and an experience I'll never forget. However, I had hit my breaking point.

Thankfully, this weekend we got a little reprieve. We finally had some help! The plumber, electrician, and carpenter spent the last couple of days whipping our kitchen into shape. The plumber is a childhood friend of Jeremy's and the electrician was someone Jeremy met through his yacht club in Southie. It was great having friends on the project.

They laid a new subfloor...

They built the peninsula wall

My shadow, Summer
 Here's a closer look at the plumbing in the peninsula. My beautiful, cast iron sink will sit right in the middle of the peninsula.

They set up our new laundry closet...


And remember how I talked about enjoying sheet rocking? Forget it! I didn't realize we'd have to putty, sand, putty again, and sand again. I hate sheet rocking!

Puttying and sanding is the worst.
The good news is we've decided to have the guys finish up the rest of the sheet rocking when they come to install the ceilings TOMORROW! That's right, starting tomorrow we'll have ceilings and walls. Wahoo! And the best part is, I don't have to hang them.

We spent a few hours last night getting the walls ready. We had to pull out any nails or screws from the old walls. And we insullated. Insulation is not a fun material to work with. I was wheezing up a storm! I hope I don't see the insides of the ceilings or walls ever again.




No comments:

Post a Comment